Friday, April 18, 2008

o curse'd (financial) engineers!

Macquarie Bank: stop poaching engineers! Engineers: did you really pay $24000 and commit to 20 contact hours a week for 4 years (that's 2080 hours in total!) to end up strutting around wearing crispy suits in Martin Place, stuck in a cubicle writing financial software? Or did the salary package just prove too tempting? It pains me to see such technically able graduates wooed so blatantly by money. Mind you, the actual fashion of suits has its allure when worn well, but that allure is quickly lost amongst the pomp of corporate etiquette: five minutes in Martin Place and I'm ready to run screaming. But I do have to give M'Bank credit for recognising the problem solving skills of engineers, but I'm not such a fan of exploiting them for merchant banking. I'm going to sound arrogantly elitist but 'financial engineering' is just not engineering, dammit!

I'd much rather see these young minds engaged in 'real' engineering professions, be it building infrastructure or adding to intellectual capital, rather than simply making themselves and Allan Moss (soon to morph into Nicholas Moore) richer. But what can I do but attempt to indoctrinate students (preferably impressionable first-years, before it's too late!) with my left-wing ideology and propaganda? It's probably a hard task to achieve, when engineers are notoriously stuck in the boxes they put themselves in and few have enough of a real passion for their work to not be lured by the human construct of material wealth that is money. But now I have another dilemma: which of the lesser evils does one recommend to money-hungry budding engineers, merchant banking or mining?!

No comments: